EdEd was born in Washington, DC in 1945 at the end of World War 2. His family moved back to Texas that year, where both parents had been raised, and lived in Dallas /Fort Worth until 1957 when the family again moved to Battle Creek, Michigan. Junior High and Senior High were in Michigan until the family moved again to McLean, Virginia, where Ed spent most of his senior year and received his High School Diploma. Sports were part of these school years and became the motivation for his interest in the design of athletic facilities at all levels. His interest in architecture was building by the time he entered the ninth grade. His enrollment into the School of Architecture at the University of Texas in 1963 was no surprise to anyone. Ed graduated in 1968 from UT with a Bachelor of Architecture Degree. While in college he was an active member of Alpha Ro Chi, a national professional Architectural Fraternity, where he served as an officer several years. Ed participated in intramural athletics in four sports. Ed was an active member of Hyde Park Baptist Church in Austin, Texas and the founder of the Texas Sacred Singers, a non-denominational choir at the university. He met his future wife, Robbie there and they were married in June of 1968 following his graduation.

After graduation, he worked as an apprentice in Austin until May of 1969 when he moved to Dallas and joined the staff of Craycroft-Lacy Architects and spent the next seven years, the last four as an Associate and team manager of a design studio of eight architects. During these years Ed was very active in several civic clubs in Dallas and began to build a network of young businessmen that would eventually become some of the leading Real Estate Developers in North Texas.

In May of 1976, he made the decision to enter private practice and formed Rawls Architects. From the small beginning he and his partner built the firm into a regional design firm that was in the top 5% in size in Dallas. Ed was the managing partner and primarily responsible for design and business development. In January of 1998, Ed moved the firm to McKinney, Texas, the county seat of Collin County, which was leading the nation in population growth. A small town of less than 40,000 residents in 1997 quickly grew to a city of well over 100,000 residents by 2007. Frisco, Texas was second nationally only to McKinney in population growth and Rawls Architects has had a significant part in that expansion.

Ed and Robbie have been active members of First Baptist Church Dallas since they moved to Dallas in 1969, where he serves as a Deacon. Ed also serves on the Board of Trustees at Criswell College in Dallas, is a past director of Plano Rotary and a member of the American Institute of Architects. Ed holds the NCARB certificate and has been registered to practice architecture in Twenty Two states.

Rawls Architects today, while smaller in size that the 1980”s, is not much different, other than the use of Computer Aided Drafting and Building Information Modeling techniques. Ed Rawls still approaches design as a specific solution to a specific owner on a specific site. Spaces in which to live, work, and play are all so interrelated that the design team must understand the entire nature of our clients and their particular personalities to understand how to design any one area of their architectural environmental needs. Designing with “butter paper” and a pencil is the only way Ed will approach a project. Soon after the concept is established, the drawings will move to machines, but we want to be free to explore and use our imagination at the early stages.